[RFC] tags in log output

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue Apr 10 04:47:36 BST 2007

On 4/10/07, Erik Bågfors <zindar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/6/07, Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net> wrote:
> > I think from the testing point of view method 1 is preferable.
> > Because no one else spoke, I'd like to suggest this variant.
>
> I just can't figure out how to do this without breaking the API for
> any log formatter plugins.  Not that there are that many, but still.
>
> Any idea?

If all else fails, it would be ok to have a member on the LogFormatter
that says if it supports this extended information.

  if getattr(formatter, 'supports_tags', False):
     formatter.show(...)

> > > True..
> > >
> > > Well, if space is allowed, one could do
> > > tags: "tag with spaces" tag2
> > > or perhaps
> > > tags: "tag with spaces" "tag2"
> >
> > Yes, this will be good.

There is no restriction on what is allowed but common sense suggests
not using spaces.  I think this syntax would be ok.

--
Martin