re 0.15rc3/win32: bug report, suggestion and question

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sun Apr 1 16:06:50 BST 2007

Andrew Voznytsa wrote:

> OK, I'd just change repository access method - I don't like sftp anymore
> and want to use file access over SMB.
> Since I'm 'switching' to the same repository is not there any way to
> detect this case and update lightweight/heavy checkout without any extra
> efforts like running update, etc?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Andrew Voznytsa

'bzr switch' already looks to see if things have actually changed before
trying to modify the working tree.

'bzr update' itself also does a check of whether there is anything to
actually update.

Also, in 'bzr' because you version the whole tree at once, knowing if
there is something to update is a single check. You don't have to check
every file for whether there is new data, it is just one 'if
working_tree.last_revision() != branch.last_revision()'.

(If you want to get your hands dirty, you could just edit
.bzr/branch/location directly, but it isn't something I would recommend)