re 0.15rc3/win32: bug report, suggestion and question

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Sun Apr 1 05:48:41 BST 2007

On 4/1/07, Andrew Voznytsa <andrew.voznytsa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried to use 0.15 with lightweight checkout (0.14) from shared
> repository (0.14) and I got this:
>
> bzr: ERROR: paramiko.SFTPError: Garbage packet received
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 650, in run_bzr_catch_errors
>   File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 612, in run_bzr
>   File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 304, in run_argv_aliases
>   File "bzrlib\builtins.pyc", line 948, in run
>   File "bzrlib\branch.pyc", line 129, in open
>   File "bzrlib\bzrdir.pyc", line 544, in open
>   File "bzrlib\lazy_import.pyc", line 106, in __call__
>   File "bzrlib\transport\__init__.pyc", line 1039, in get_transport
>   File "bzrlib\transport\__init__.pyc", line 1097, in
> _try_transport_factories
>   File "bzrlib\transport\__init__.pyc", line 109, in _loader
>   File "bzrlib\transport\sftp.pyc", line 223, in __init__
> A c File "bzrlib\transport\sftp.pyc", line 834, in _sftp_connect
> ce s File "bzrlib\transport\sftp.pyc", line 1198, in _sftp_connect
> s  d File "bzrlib\transport\sftp.pyc", line 1204, in _sftp_connect_uncached
> en i File "bzrlib\transport\ssh.pyc", line 343, in connect_sftp
> ed
>   File "paramiko\sftp_client.pyc", line 87, in __init__
>   File "paramiko\sftp.pyc", line 108, in _send_version
>   File "paramiko\sftp.pyc", line 183, in _read_packet
> SFTPError: Garbage packet received
>
> bzr 0.15.0candidate3 on python 2.5.0.final.0 (win32)
> arguments: ['bzr', 'co', 'sftp://username@host/repository/branch']
>
> Server is http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net, host WinXP Pro SP2,
> repository - shared, no trees, 0.14 format. Working tree is lightweight
> checkout (0.14 too).
>
> Note: ssh keys were regenerated after last checkout 0.14, before
> upgrading to 0.15rc3.
>
> After that I used bzr 0.14. It said that keys mismatched and I should
> edit here and there to make it working. I did it and bzr 0.14 worked
> just fine. So I tried 0.15 again - it failed. Seems that SSH is a problem.

I'm surprised that we're getting an error from that place inside
paramiko if it's a bzr bug.  Could it be that your installation on
Windows is using a different version of paramiko for the two
installations of Bazaar?

> OK, I decided to bzr 0.14 unbind/bind to UNC patch in hope to forget
> about SSH - no luck. 0.14 (and 0.15) still ask for SSH password. I
> looked in <branch>\.bzr\branch\location and there is still sftp URL so
> it just silently exited from bind call, without any notifications that
> bind failed or is not possible at all.

So you're trying to unbind from the ssh location and bind to a UNC
location, and that fails because you can't reach the ssh server?

> Next, suggestion: why not to just allow rebind without connecting to
> server? What if server is not (and won't) available anymore and mobile
> user will have to use mirror? (checkout from server A to notebook;
> server A crash; rebind to server B and use it. I agree that mobile user
> won't use lightweight checkout, but anyway it would be useful)

I agree that if you're trying to unbind from a server we shouldn't
talk to it anymore.  Is that what you're seeing?  It's more
contentious whether we should talk to the new master when you connect,
or only when you first try to update or commit.

> And last, question: when do you expect to have 1.0? (I know - it is hard
> to tell but could you try please?)

I think after a few (2-3?) more monthly cycles from here.  I think the
main things we need to do are to speed up network access, close some
more bugs and improve documentation.  What do you think we should do
for 1.0?

--
Martin