strange crash checking status

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Apr 2 17:33:19 BST 2007

Adam Mercer wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am having a strange problem in one of the subdirectories within one
> of my repositories. I get the following error when checking on the
> status, ie:
>
> [ram at skymoo ligolw]$ bzr status
> 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/opt/local/bin/bzr", line 21, in ?
>    import os
>  File
> "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/os.py",
>
> line 683, in ?
>    import copy_reg as _copy_reg
>  File
> "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/copy_reg.py",
>
> line 7, in ?
>    from types import ClassType as _ClassType
> ImportError: cannot import name ClassType
>
> I get the same error using both 0.14 and 0.15.  Any idea to what could
> be causing this?
>
> Cheers
>
> Adam

This seems to be a problem with your Python installation. I was seeing
some of this when I installed Python2.4 from DarwinPorts (MacPorts).

At least it would seem that not everything is actually properly
installed. (It can't find site.py or types).

*I* ran into something like this when I had PYTHONHOME set incorrectly.
Though I thought it wasn't needed.

You could try doing:
PYTHONHOME=/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/
python -c "from types import ClassType"

At least on my machine, if I set that to something else I get:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named types

You may want to try re-installing python, though I hate to have that be
my only recommendation.