[RFC] remove --basis support?

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Mar 29 15:30:39 BST 2007

Robert Collins wrote:
> I'd like to remove --basis support in 0.16. It will make the hpss merge
> much simpler - basis is nontrivial to do well in the presence of
> distributed processing (think third-party-ftp - yeuch).
>
> -Rob

I'm pretty sure --basis has rotted in most of our codebase.

For example, in bzrdir.py we have:
    result_repo = result.find_repository()
    # fetch content this dir needs.
    if basis_repo:
        # XXX FIXME RBC 20060214 need tests for this when the basis
        # is incomplete
        result_repo.fetch(basis_repo, revision_id=revision_id)
    result_repo.fetch(local_repo, revision_id=revision_id)

But that will fail if the basis doesn't have all of the revisions. (What
we want would be to fetch whatever the basis does have, and then fetch
the rest from remote).

I also seem to remember another code path which was completely borked
wrt basis. (I discussed it with Aaron at the time).

So I'm happy to see it go. I don't know if we need to keep '--basis'
around with a warning that it is no longer supported ?