'bzr: ERROR: Not a branch' on existing local branch. Can I repair it?

Stevens, Ian IStevens at globeandmail.com
Wed Mar 28 22:22:04 BST 2007

> > I just tried that and get the same error with the same output in the
> > log.  Writing to branch-name doesn't have any effect as you would
> > expect.
> So you were able to create a 'format' file, which has the right
> contents? (Your later comment leads me to wonder if you ended up with
an
> empty file here).

I copied the format file from another working branch.  It has the
following contents:

    Bazaar-NG branch format 5

> If it is a shared drive, do you know if it might be a '/tmp' drive?

It's my home directory, so hopefully not.  :)

> Can you check .bzr\ for files? You should have 'branch-format' and
> README.

I only have branch, checkout and repository in the .bzr dir.  I tried
copying branch-format from a working branch and now get the following
error:

bzr: ERROR: No WorkingTree exists for
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/istevens/dev/ticker/trunk/.bzr/che
ckout/.

Here are the contents of the log:

bzr arguments: [u'diff']
looking for plugins in c:\Program
Files\Bazaar\lib\library.zip\bzrlib\plugins
looking for plugins in C:/Documents and Settings/istevens/Application
Data/bazaar/2.0/plugins
Looking for plugins in 'c:\\Program
Files\\Bazaar\\lib\\library.zip\\bzrlib\\plugins'
Names in archive: ['__init__.pyc', 'launchpad/__init__.pyc',
'launchpad/lp_registration.pyc', 'launchpad/test_register.pyc']
Load plugin launchpad from zip 'c:\\Program
Files\\Bazaar\\lib\\library.zip\\bzrlib\\plugins'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 650, in run_bzr_catch_errors
  File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 612, in run_bzr
  File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 304, in run_argv_aliases
  File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 622, in ignore_pipe
  File "bzrlib\builtins.pyc", line 1235, in run
  File "bzrlib\builtins.pyc", line 85, in internal_tree_files
  File "bzrlib\workingtree.pyc", line 350, in open_containing
  File "bzrlib\bzrdir.pyc", line 1015, in open_workingtree
  File "bzrlib\workingtree.pyc", line 1912, in find_format
NoWorkingTree: No WorkingTree exists for
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/istevens/dev/ticker/trunk/.bzr/che
ckout/.
return code 3

The contents of branch-format are as follows:

    Bazaar-NG meta directory, format 1

Ian.