[MERGE][0.15] Hide commands for nested trees.

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Mar 13 03:19:06 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 12:07 +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 13/03/07, Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Robert Collins wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 16:34 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> > > I'd actually prefer that we dont discourage people. Instead we say that
> > > it is not yet support - say that in the help and the release notes - but
> > > that it /can/ be used and feedback (on new bugs) is appreciated; we can
> > > assign a tag in the bug tracker for nested tree bugs, and give people a
> > > canned search link in the release notes.
> >
> > I can tell you that I would not be interested in using nested trees in
> > their current state, except for research purposes.  Even with
> > "nested-tree polish update 1" (which hasn't even made bzr.dev), they
> > aren't even supported by basic commands like 'status', 'pull' and 'revert'.

What do you mean here? Will they break commonly? Or do you mean 'status
wont recurse into subtrees, and neither will pull' ?

> > > I'm pretty sure if this goes out enabled, that someone will blog about
> > > how to do it ;).
> >
> > I really don't think anyone would be happy enough with them to blog
> > about how to set it up.  The only think I can imagine would be a
> > scathing critique.  Which would be unjustified, considering the commands
> > are hidden and carry warnings.
>
> OK, well, given that we probably do need to do more than just disable
> the commands.  The current working tree will record tree references
> when it notices a subdirectory has a .bzr, which will tend to throw
> people in the deep end of tree references.
>
> The easiest way is probably to split that kind-detection behaviour
> into a different workingtree class, which can remain experimental for
> this release.
>
> Are you confident in keeping join in the non-reference mode or should
> we hide that too?

I'd rather we dont have a new format here, I think having a new feature
which is available by choice (must explicitly upgrade to it), is fine.
nested-trees are already implicitly disabled for vanilla knit
repositories.

Rob