more naming cleanups: irc channel, .deb packages,

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Mar 12 15:43:13 GMT 2007

Etienne Goyer wrote:
> Hi Martin, everybody,
>
> If I understand correctly, we need to change the name of the bazaar
> package, but not bzr.  I would be glad to take care of that.
>
> However, I am just wondering about the purpose of the baz/bazaar package
> in the first place.  It have not been updated since Breezy, released in
> October 2005.  My understanding is that is officially deprecated and
> replaced by bzr.  Should we consider removing baz/bazaar entirely from
> the distro ?

We still need to allow a migration strategy. So for something like 'bzr
baz-import' we need to have a 'baz' packaged that people can install.

> This may not be possible if some package still have a hard dependency on
> it.  Also, I am not familiar with the process of doing so.  It would
> probably involve looking for and fixing any package that still Depends,
> Suggests or Recommends baz.

I doubt we have many hard dependencies, but I still think in needs to be
kept around. I suppose it could be moved out towards Universe or
something. But people need to be able to upgrade from baz => bzr.

> On the other, there is no harm in keeping it around.  I'll let Martin
> advise about what to do, and start looking into what is involved in the
> process.
>
> Cheers !
>
> Etienne

So yes, at the moment we only need to rename 'bazaar => baz'.