Bazaar summer-of-code - mentors, project ideas and students wanted

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 08:55:20 GMT 2007

On 3/8/07, Martin Pool <martinpool at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like Bazaar to offer Google summer-of-code again this year.  We
> had some success last year and I think can do even better this year by
> staying more closely in touch with our students.  We need to apply by
> Monday the 12th.
>
> At this point I'm looking for a list of people interested in
> mentoring, and perhaps to start a discussion about how we will
> organize the summer-of-code project.
>
> We are asked to provide a list of mentors on the application.  Being a
> mentor to a student is a significant commitment, but can be be very
> rewarding.  You don't need to make a final decision right now.  Of
> course everyone can help the students, not just the formal mentors.
>
>   http://code.google.com/soc/
>
> Google's main concern reflected in the application is that students
> shouldn't drop out, which is understandable given there are many more
> applications than scholarships available.  I think the key things are
>
>  * choosing good projects clearly articulated, not requiring *too*
> much knowledge of the guts, not likely to require extended debate,
> cool or interesting, appropriately sized

My two ideas.

Mac GUI,
The next version of the OS, leopard, will be out by the summer.
Python will be a first class citizen which means that you can write
GUI application without having to install any extra python stuff.

Partial Merges/cherry-pick.
This is the thing I miss most in bzr.  if you do a cherry-pick it
should note that and be smart enough to do the right things for log,
pull, push and merge operations.  Perhaps this requires too much
knowledge of the guts.  So perhaps this is not the best thing for SoC.

/Erik