Assertion error in delta.py (_compare_trees)

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Thu Mar 1 00:01:44 GMT 2007

First of all, thank you for the instant reply.

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 05:46:29PM -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
> >     I have a couple of bzr branches on my laptop, mirrored at
> >     http://mg.pov.lt/fbreader/
> > I cannot even run bzr st in any of the old branches that I had:
> >
> >     mg at pitonas:~/www/fbreader/mg $ bzr st
> >     bzr: ERROR: exceptions.AssertionError:
>
> This specific assertion error is because a path changed kind. Either a
> file => directory or file => symlink or something like that. We have
> traditionally not supported that operation, but in 0.15 we added support
> for it. So you could try the current bzr.dev if you want.

Interesting.  It is possible that there is a change like this in the
history.  I kept track of upstream changes by downloading new tarballs,
extracting them, moving the .bzr directory into the directory where I
extracted the new tarball, and running bzr add `bzr unknowns` followed
by bzr commit.  After that I bzr merged the upstream branch into each of
my feature branches.  bzr did not complain then.

I am absolutely certain that today I haven't added or removed any files
(nor symlinks, nor directories).

> But as I said, in 0.15 the error goes away entirely, since it is now a
> supported operation.

Are there any debs of 0.15 prereleases around?

Marius Gedminas
--
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.