confusing messages

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Wed Feb 28 18:49:00 GMT 2007

On (28/02/07 12:07), Sam Steingold wrote:
> I see these messages:

Hi, I'm going to talk you through what each means in the hope that it
explains what is going on.

> $ bzr pull
> Using saved location: http://bzr.xsteve.at/dvc/
> 0 revision(s) pulled.

There are no extra revisions in that branch that you can get.

> $ bzr update
> Tree is up to date at revision 136.

This means the same thing.

> $ bzr status
> pending merges:
>   Stefan Reichoer 2007-01-29 Applied minor fix for dvc-build.el from
> Sascha...

This means that you have done a merge from the other branch, but haven't
done the last step of committing it. This step is required as you are
supposed to ensure that the merge happened as you wanted. You then make
a commit to say that you are happy with the current state and want to
carry on.

> $ bzr merge
> Merging from remembered location http://bzr.xsteve.at/dvc/
> Nothing to do.

The merge command only does the first part, that is look for revisions
it can merge and pull them locally to turn them in to pending merges as
above. You have done this step already, so there is nothing left to do.

> $ bzr status
> pending merges:
>   Stefan Reichoer 2007-01-29 Applied minor fix for dvc-build.el from
> Sascha...
>
> so, why do I see "pending merges" if merge says "Nothing to do"?

I hope that explains it. If you have any other questions please don't
hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

James

--
  James Westby   --    GPG Key ID: B577FE13    --     http://jameswestby.net/
  seccure key - (3+)k7|M*edCX/.A:n*N!>|&7U.L#9E)Tu)T0>AM - secp256r1/nistp256