[merge] tags in Branch

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Mon Feb 26 02:50:45 GMT 2007

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 11:47:21AM +1100 I heard the voice of
Martin Pool, and lo! it spake thus:

> Here's an updated tags patch, which I would like to merge for 0.15.

First off, yay!

Now, some things I came across in testing:

- 'help tag' still says the tags are stored in the repo and apply to
  all the branches in it.

- Too, the 'tag' help should probably explicitly state that giving an
  already-used-here name will move the tag.

- init'ing a branch as experimental-branch6 creates the branch/tags
  file, but upgrade'ing a branch to branch6 doesn't.

- The output of 'tags' doesn't put a newline after each tag, so the
  name of the second tag is jammed up against the end of the revid for
  the first, and my prompt is jammed up against the end of the revid
  for the last.

- Neither does the output of 'tag' put a newline after its "created
  tag XXX".  It kinda bugs me that 'created' isn't capitalized there,
  but then 'added' isn't either, so...

- The 'tags' output also pushes the revid far enough over that it
  wraps around to the next line.  Cosmetic, but annoying.

- Doing a 'pull' doesn't reset tags.  Neither does 'pull --overwrite'.
  Tags that were on the old branch are still around after it, even if
  the two branches share no ancestry.

- Moving or deleting a tag doesn't actually seem to be merged, only
  adding.

The following is probably intended (or at least expected) behavior,
though a little un-POLA:

- Moving/deleting a tag, without adding new revisions, leaves a
  'merge' of the changed branch not knowing of anything to do.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net