[MERGE] bzr rm should delete the working file (Bug #82602)

Joseph Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Feb 19 16:26:40 GMT 2007

Marius Kruger wrote:
> So do we have consensus now? :

On the basis of your suggestions, not from me. :-)

> * no more 'bzr rm'

No.  If you're going to keep bzr remove as a command, keep this as a
handy shortcut.

> * 'bzr remove' only unversions it (like it used to)

A plain bzr remove or bzr rm should just unversion it, yes.

> * 'bzr del' and 'bzr delete' unversions and deletes.

You could do this, or you could add it as a flag to bzr remove
(bzr rm -D for example, as John Whitley suggested).

I personally think that using remove -D and rm -D is preferable for a
couple of reasons.  First, I really don't like the idea of having
"dangerous" commands which by default can result in data loss.
Requiring a flag means you can't do it by accident, you have to say,
"Yes, unconditionally, without question, I want to scrub this data."

Second, this allows you to preserve the link you wanted between between
bzr rm (which I want to keep because it's much easier to write than bzr
remove:-) and unix rm: the former command will allow you to act
consistently with the latter but will have a safety feature built in
that attends to the needs of a VCS user.

(Personally, I've never understood why unix rm doesn't have its own
safety feature---of the "this will remove 10 files, are you sure y/n"
variety.  As long as you could override it with a flag so as not to
screw up shell programming, would there be a problem?  Still, that's
another story:-)