[MERGE] Branch format 6

Wouter van Heyst larstiq at larstiq.dyndns.org
Sat Feb 17 18:37:17 GMT 2007

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 01:01:54PM -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 16:18 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
>
> >>It means that if you have a heavyweight checkout but no access to the
> >>master branch, you can "unbind", do a series of commits (without
> >>--local) and finally bind when the branch becomes available again.
> >

> > -0 - I think that this adds more state to the branch, which has to then
> > be explained and understood.
>
> There's no question that it adds state, but I think the cognitive cost
> is fairly low.
>
> It seemed counterintuitive to that "unbind" actually meant "forget bind
> location".  So now, "unbind" now actually does what I would expect it to do.
>
> It also maintains our pattern of remembering the URLs provided to
> commands and reusing them.  So we actually reduce complexity there.
>
> And since it only adds functionality, you don't have to know about the
> additional state until you run "bind" with no arguments.
>
> So to me, it seems like a worthwhile tradeoff.

Agreed, at least I as a user expect this state to be kept by bzr, and
not in my head when I unbind/rebind. `bzr info` output might be a little
harder to understand in the unbound but remembered location case for
people unaware of bind, but I think that is certainly a worthwhile
tradeoff.

Wouter van Heyst