hpss performance with info

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Feb 12 22:05:07 GMT 2007

I promised to benchmark the high performance servers time to do 'info'
before and after the progress made last week in Amsterdam, from
somewhere more high latency.

So yesterday, at Martins, I did 'info -v' against a branch in London, in
the Canonical datacentre. That took:

real    228m3.377s
user    1m35.010s
sys     0m11.409s

With the RPC call to perform 'Repository.gather_stats' disabled - that
is, RemoteRepository called self._real_repository.gather_stats().

With the RPC enabled:
real    0m17.512s
user    0m1.184s
sys     0m0.112s

I haven't tested without -v yet, but I think its a clear indication that
we can get reasonable performance wins ;). - And a dramatic indication
of the cost of latency on performance.

Rob