[MERGE] Branch format 6

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 12 21:21:57 GMT 2007

Erik Bågfors wrote:

>> > I don't think this one is so good because it's possible that someone
>> > committed to mainline in the meantime.
>>
>> The same problem exists with bound branches, it's just that the recovery
>> is different.  If push failed, you'd uncommit, pull, commit and push.

> bzr pull
> bzr merge ../otherbranch
> review
> bzr commit -m merge
> bzr push -> error message, can't do it
> bzr uncommit
> bzr revert

No need.

> bzr pull
> bzr merge ../otherbranch

No need.

> review
> bzr commit -m merge
> bzr push

You've added stuff beyond what I said.  It really is uncommit, pull,
commit, push.  Perhaps you're not aware that uncommit restores pending
merges, or that pull works just fine in directories with pending merges?

> Compared to
> bzr update
> bzr merge ../otherbranch
> review
> bzr commit -m merge ---> Error message, run bzr update
> bzr update
> review
> bzr commit -m merge
>
> I find the second version nicer :)

I expect this to be a rare circumstance, and I think update is evil
because it can damage uncommitted changes.  So I would rather stick with
merge.

You're arguing that using "bind/unbind" is no good for people who don't
use checkouts, and so we should have "merge --reverse", right?  How
would merge --reverse be any better?  It would be worse, IMO, because of
what would happen if you reverted.

Aaron