[BUG] Diff on revision range for branch in repository without working trees is not possible

Nicholas Allen allen at ableton.com
Fri Feb 9 17:40:01 GMT 2007

> # Compare two files in the same tree
> $ bzr diff file1 file2
>
> # Compare two files in the basis tree
> $ bzr diff file1 file2 -r -1
>
> # Compare two files in different trees
> $ bzr diff tree1/file1 tree2/file2
>
> # Compare the same file in different trees
> $ bzr diff file1 tree2
>
> # Compare two trees
> $ bzr diff tree1 tree2
>
> # Compare tree1 r2 with tree2 r2
> $ bzr diff -r1..2 tree1 tree2
>
> # Compare tree1 r1 with tree1 r2
> $ bzr diff -r1..2 tree1
>
> # Compare the basis trees of two branches
> $ bzr diff branch1 branch2
>
> # Compare branch1 r1 with branch2 r2
> $ bzr diff branch1 -r 1..2 branch2
>
> # Compare files in branch1 and branch2 basis
> $ bzr diff branch1/file1 branch2/file2
Would it really be necessary to handle all of those cases right away? I
think being able to do

bzr diff -r X..Y branchurl

would cover 90% of the use cases. The fact you can do that with log
suggests it should be possible with diff. The other cases you mentioned
IMO are not likely to be used anywhere near as much. Which of these are
currently supported? Can you also do this with log:

bzr log -r X..Y branch/file

If not then I don't think you need to support that in diff either...

Nick