error with umlauts in directory name

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Feb 9 14:44:07 GMT 2007

Alexander Belchenko wrote:

> I think for this particular purpose with temp file switch to non-unicode
> path is safe on windows. Because you are using the same path to write
> file, to run editor with this file and then read file back. In Windows
> it's mean instead of unicode path we will use ANSI path that it safe
> solution for invoking external editor via subprocess.

But I can very easily create a filename on Windows that is not OEM/ANSI
safe. Like for me on an English windows, I can create an Arabic
filename. (حبيب). That will never work in ANSI. So I really think we
need the osutils.getcwd()

Otherwise it would try to create the file in
C:/branch/?????/bzr_log.XXXX

Now, we may have a problem spawning an editor to edit that file. But I'm
quite positive that it is trivially easy to create filenames that cannot
be represented on Windows OEM pages.

I don't want to overkill our design. So it might be sufficient to just
use '.'.

I would like to add some of the other cleanups, though.