[MERGE/RFC] Checkouts help topic.

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Feb 8 21:05:40 GMT 2007

John Yates wrote:
> The more you chop up the help namespace the harder it will be
> for novices to locate the help they seek.  This feels simple
> and moves topics out of the command namespace:
>
> bzr help
>   enumerate commands including mention of the topic command
>
> bzr help COMMAND
>   describe the specifics of command COMMAND
>
> bzr topic
>   enumerate non-command-specific help topics
>
> bzr topic TOPIC
>   display help for TOPIC
>
> /john

Well, we have 'bzr help topics'. And we also would like a way to do "bzr
help PLUGIN". Like "bzr help bzrtools".

And many plugins have the same name as their command. So we would
probably also want "bzr help plugin X" or maybe just 'bzr help-plugin X'.

So whatever mechanism we use for topics could also be used for topics.

I would prefer "bzr help topic foo" or "bzr help-topic foo", to using a
namespace scheme. But 'bzr help plugin:foo" could work.