[MERGE/RFC] Checkouts help topic.

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Thu Feb 8 20:05:21 GMT 2007

On (07/02/07 16:43), John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel has voted +1.
> Status is now: Approved
> Comment:
> I'll apply Robert's changes and submit. If we want to tweak it more, we
> can always do it later.

Hi John,

Not sure if this has gone in yet, but something hit me. I was thinking
about other ones that I could write, and an obvious one is branches, but
bzrtools already has a command called branches.

There is a namespace issue here, and if the branches help topic gets a
different name then maybe all of them should.

  bzr help branches_topic

is a little clunky

  bzr help branches-help

is needlessly redundant.

  bzr help-topics branches

might be a good place to move all these to, but adds another command,
and the uniformity of just bzr help for them all appeals to me.

Another possibility is something like

  bzr help topic:branches

to select a help topic of the same name as a command. It might be good
to have a shodow for all commands, so that there can be concise usage
information on the help, and a more detailed explanation in the topic
higlighting any issues and suggesting interesting things.

There could also be extra namespaces perhaps

  short:
  usage:
  related:
  hooks:

but this is probably too much, I'm just thinking out loud as it were.

All of this does split the documentation a bit, and one location maight
be good, and the wiki obviously gives flexibility and a lot of room to
work in, but having help online appeals to me.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

James

--
  James Westby   --    GPG Key ID: B577FE13    --     http://jameswestby.net/
  seccure key - (3+)k7|M*edCX/.A:n*N!>|&7U.L#9E)Tu)T0>AM - secp256r1/nistp256