socket error on Windows with bzr:// and large projects

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Feb 8 14:25:14 GMT 2007

John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> We managed to do a conversion of one of the Mozilla trees, and J. Paul
> Reed was experimenting with doing a 'bzr branch' over the bzr:// protocol.

>   File "bzrlib\transport\smart.pyc", line 1719, in _read_bytes
> error: (10055, 'No buffer space available')
>
> And that line happens to be:
> return self._socket.recv(count)

We also came across this report:
http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=0914

Which  makes it sound like you might get 10055 you may be getting "too
many sockets" error. As Windows is only supporting 5000 ports in use,
and they don't timeout for 4 minutes.

So it would be possible that we are opening too many sockets. But I'm
pretty sure that we only open up 1 socket per bzr:// connection. At
least when I look over the code, we have a single socket per Medium.

And when we clone a SmartTransport we get back another SmartTransport
(which is a bit of a bug, since it may be an inherited class). But
regardless we share the medium.

So it still seems like we shouldn't be running out of sockets.