[MERGE/RFC] Checkouts help topic.

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Fri Feb 2 18:11:58 GMT 2007

On (02/02/07 13:02), Aaron Bentley wrote:
> James Westby wrote:
> > As in bzr checkout . for when you forgot trees, or minimising working
> > trees by only checking out ones that you want? I think you mean the
> > latter. I was thinking of including the former in the repositories help
> > topic.
>
> I do mean the latter.  I don't think it needs to be long, just enough to
> get interested users looking for more info.

Ok. Perhaps you could write something similar about your way of using
checkouts. I am interested myself in what you do from your message
earlier, but wouldn't feel confident about writing about it yet. I could
write it myself if you could explain the idea, and the pros and cons of
it.

> >>Lightweight checkouts work best when you have fast, reliable access to
> >>the master branch.  So if the master is on the same disk or on a LAN, a
> >>heavyweight checkout will tend to be bigger and slower than a
> >>lightweight checkout.
> >

> > ...for initial creation?
>
> And commit, and anything else that updates the repository, because
> heavyweight checkouts have two repositories to update, while lightweight
> checkouts only have one.

Ah, got you. I hadn't really thought it through, thanks.

Thanks,

James

--
  James Westby   --    GPG Key ID: B577FE13    --     http://jameswestby.net/
  seccure key - (3+)k7|M*edCX/.A:n*N!>|&7U.L#9E)Tu)T0>AM - secp256r1/nistp256