[MERGE/RFC] Checkouts help topic.

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Fri Feb 2 00:31:43 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I think that the help topics idea is great. I think it could be useful
to explain some concepts there in a little detail. This is good as the
help is right there, and provides an easy way for help for commands to
point to useful things. It's also a good place to link together certain
things, and point the user in a certain direction when they are thinking
of a certain thing.

Last night there was a user in #bzr who was confused as he

  $ bzr checkout http://...

and then didn't commit. After a couple of us explained a little bit
about what a checkout was he grasped the idea, and once he was pointed
to bind he was away.

To that end I have written a checkouts help topic that explains a little
about what they are and suggests a couple of things that can be done
with them.

Granted noone is guaranteed to read it, and it's not going to solve all
problems, but if we can have some good topics and users know that there
is good info there then they might get their answer.

I hope to write a few of these covering different concepts, branch,
working tree, repository. Perhaps there could be a couple of workflow
ones, and maybe some FAQ like ones.

I also have an idea that the topics could be given a sort of ranking.
(from 1 upwards, default 2 or something). And then display in decending
order, perhaps with gaps. This would allow bzr and plugins to highlight
certain ones (for instance revision specs is more important than repo
formats in my opinion). There might be a discussion over some
priorities, but I think it would be a win overall. Or perhaps groups
might work better.

Thanks,

James

--
  James Westby   --    GPG Key ID: B577FE13    --     http://jameswestby.net/
  seccure key - (3+)k7|M*edCX/.A:n*N!>|&7U.L#9E)Tu)T0>AM - secp256r1/nistp256