[MERGE] Stop treating Permission Denied as lock contention

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Jan 31 20:15:13 GMT 2007

Alexander Belchenko wrote:

>>> I know I've definitely had problems for directories. Because there
>>> doesn't seem to be a separate permission for the directory versus the
>>> files inside the directory. (I can open up the dialog box and set
>>> readonly on the dir, and it asks if I want to apply it to all child
>>> files, but when I open it up again it comes back with the square rather
>>> than a check, which generally means => some are readonly, some aren't).
>
> It's true.
>
>>> And after doing so, I was still able to create files inside that
>>> directory. So obviously it wasn't readonly.
>>>
>>> I wish I knew more to tell you.
>>>
>>> But as near as I can tell, you can't make a directory readonly on Win32.
>
> It's not true.
>
> --
> Alexander

Can you try this Alexander:

Open up explorer
File/New/Folder "test"
cd test
File/New/Textfile "test.txt"
edit test.txt just to put something in it
cd ..
File/Properties  Check Readonly
Apply to This folder and all sub-folders
cd test
File/New/Textfile "new.txt"
edit new.txt

Now, if the directory was truly readonly, I would expect that you could
not create a new file there, and that you could not edit that file.

I just tested this (a couple of times) on my XP Home laptop using NTFS.
And there was no way I found to prevent me from creating a file in
"test". After setting the readonly flag it wouldn't let me edit
'test.txt', but I could create new files without any problems.

This may be an issue with XP Home versus XP Professional.

But I can vouch 100% that on my XPHome laptop, I have found no way to
actually make a directory that I could not add more content to.

Which means that there is no way for our test suite to create a
directory that it will then get "PermissionDenied" from.

Now, it may be that on XP Pro we will be able to do that. However, I
have a distinct counter example, which means that regardless of what we
can do sometimes, the test will *always* fail on my machine.

Can you confirm your results for your windows machine?