RFC: Possibility to re-edit last commit message

Jari Aalto jari.aalto at cante.net
Tue Jan 30 05:25:16 GMT 2007

Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> writes:

> Jari Aalto wrote:
>> This is the problem. I would just need a new message right after the
>> old one; with version N+1, if that's the feasible solution. No actual
>> file commits whatsoever even if they had changed.
>
> When you talk about version N+1, it's hard to know what you're talking
> about.

[1]

I mean that all will be treated as regular commits

    bzr ci file.txt      N   = r1
    bzr ci file.txt      N+1 = r2

oops, I want to edit message only:

    bzr ci --unchanged --edit-message-only      N+2 = r3

and continue as usual:

    bzr ci file.txt      N+3   = r4

> I think you mean a direct descendant of N. But my initial impression
> was that you thought revision-ids were somehow sequential, because
> revision-ids are the only unambiguous way of identifying versions.

My mistake, I was referring to revno, not revid.

>> Not removing, keeping it there, but stacked -- where the last one would
>> only be visible. But if I understood correct there would have been
>> problems.
>
> I'm not sure what "stacked" means, but if "hidden" is an adequate
> synonym, it's not entirely impossible.

Yes, that was it.

> The problems I see with this are:
> - Do we want to hide this from the user?  Does this open up a security
> hole?

Interesting. The attacker could wipe the log clean and it would not
show up for others. That is a threat if the other entries are put into
hidden sate.

> - How pervasive would the changes need to be?  If we're going to hide
> revisions, we don't want the revno to increment for hidden revisions, I
> expect.

Probably not. I'm convinced, that the [1] would be more simpler, more
easily managed and leave no attack possibility because all the logs
would remain there visible for examination.

Oh yes, and now you could do

   bzr diff -r2..3

To see what actually changed in the commit log, provided that no "-m
...." option was done, but the editor opened the old message for
editing.

Jari