[rfc] bzrlib/textinv.py is not used anymore

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Jan 29 15:47:11 GMT 2007

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> I don't find any import of bzrlib/textinv.py module.
> It seems this module unused from the end of 2005 year.
> Can we delete this file? Or add the comment why for it needed?

I think it was a research inventory format. As far as I know we've
*never* used it for anything in production.

This is a little tricky to verify, but you could do something like:

for f in .bzr/repository/knits/*/*.knit; do
  txt=`zcat $f | grep textinv`
  if [ -n "$txt" ]; then
    echo $f
    echo $txt
  fi
done

That searches all of the texts of all of your history for the phrase
"textinv". (references to that module).

The only references I can find are in an old version of 'command.py'.

Specifically:
mbp at sourcefrog.net-20050411024445-a2d4fa7e39309d2300533a6a
revno: 236
committer: mbp at sourcefrog.net
timestamp: Mon 2005-04-11 12:44:45 +1000
message:
  - Experiments in inventory performance

So AFAICT this was just a prototype.

Even weirder is that 'annotate' ascribes most of the lines to myself,
and I honestly don't remember working on it. :) They are also attributed
to a revision that doesn't seem to fit (comment: Fixed comparison issue
with RevisionSpec versus None).

Anyway, the code isn't used, so we can get rid of it. But it might also
be useful when evaluating alternatives.

Anyway, the only things I saw that actually used it was
"cmd_dump_text_inventory"