upstream, branching, diverging, merging oh my!

Bob Tanner tanner at real-time.com
Fri Jan 26 23:30:14 GMT 2007

I know I've asked something similar to this in the past. But I still am
struggling with how to make the following personal-stupidity right.

Long time ago I "branched" openvpn (note the quotes). My idea of a "branch"
was just to 'cp -r /usr/src/openvpn ~/projects/openvpn', and I happily
started making the customization in ~/projects/openvpn.

Along comes bzr and I think I'll make life easier. So I did something like
this:

cd ~/projects/openvpn
bzr init
bzr add
bzr commit
<countless hours hacking>
bzr commit
<countless hours hacking>
bzr commit

Of course openvpn progress didn't stop, upstream kept changing, but I
ignored it in bliss, until today, when I realized I should be pulling
upstream changes into my "branch". So:

cd /usr/src/openvpn
bzr init
bzr add
bzr commit

I know enough about bzr to know I cannot do a  normal 'bzr merge' to these
repositories. There is no common ancestor.

My gut tells me I should be able some how branch /usr/src/openvpn
into /tmp/openvpn and merge my ~/project/openvpn changes into /tmp/openvpn
and magically make /tmp/openvpn my ~/project/openvpn.

Just copying the files from ~/project/openvpn into /tmp/openvpn causes a
loss of changelog/history.

Is there some way to do what I'm trying?

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>          | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.real-time.com, Minnesota, Linux | Fax   : (952)943-8500