[merge] tags in repository

Jari Aalto jari.aalto at cante.net
Fri Jan 26 20:46:59 GMT 2007

Lukáš Lalinský <lalinsky at gmail.com> writes:
> Actually, this problem is even more visible in per-repository tags
> because they are supposed to be globally unique. Personally, I don't
> believe people will respect this, they will use tags like "1.5.0"
> instead of "myproject-1.5.0", which will lead to even more conflicts.

I agree.

But they can be unique, if bzr keeps track internally the

    revid + branch name [1]

provided that revid is unique like in git (I assume the work in being done on this
as we speak now). to the user that taf is displayed as:

    1.5.0

When internally it is represented as [1]. If branches that use same "user name"

    1.5.0 (revid x)
    1.5.0 (revid y)

are merged, the new tag "1.5.0" created to the branch woudl still be unique, because it
would map to

    1.5.0 (branch's revid).

This will all of course dependent on the underlying design of the tags and I'm usre
the developers can sort it out.

What we need is --long listig of branch tags, what would expose those
revid's attached to tag names, so that different "1.5.0" can be
distinguished.

Jari