[merge] tags in repository

Jari Aalto jari.aalto at cante.net
Tue Jan 23 17:28:27 GMT 2007

Gustavo Niemeyer <gustavo at niemeyer.net> writes:

>> > This adds tags stored in the repository, and visible across branches
>> > in that repository.  Adding a tag doesn't require a commit.  Tags
>> > are 'global' across projects so people should use them appropriately
>> > - eg putting the project name at the start of the tag like
>> > 'bzr-0.14'.
>
> That sounds a bit unusual at first glance, but I can see value in
> being able to get the same consistent set of tags accross several
> branches in the same repository.

I was thinking if it were convenient to set the branch's tag prefix.
After that, all the new tags would be subordinate.

An example:

    foo/                        "bzr init-repo --trees"

      +-foo-1.1/
      +-foo-1.1+bug1234/        A brach of foo-1.1
      +-foo-1.1+bug2345/        -- '' --

      +-foo-1.5/                A branch of foo-1.5
      +-foo-1.5+bug5432/

The workflow:

    cd foo/foo-1.1/
    bzr tag --prefix foo-1.1.
    bzr tag original

    cd foo/foo-1.5/
    bzr tag --prefix foo-1.5.
    bzr tag original

    cd foo/
    bzr branch foo-1.5+bug5432
    cd foo-1.5+bug5432/
    <do the fixes>
    bzr tag bug5432

The outcome of the full tag names would be:

     foo-1.1.original
     foo-1.5.original
     foo-1.5.bug5432

What do you think?