[merge] tags in repository

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Tue Jan 23 10:43:30 GMT 2007

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 11:50:21AM +1100 I heard the voice of
Martin Pool, and lo! it spake thus:

> This adds tags stored in the repository, and visible across branches
> in that repository.

This puts another nail in the coffin of "repositories are just a
storage optimization".  Not that that's good or bad; just is.

>  * Give a warning when there are diverging values for a tag.  By
>    default don't overwrite them, but have a way to accept the other
>    person's value.

Erring conservative is a good shot here.  Particularly if we're not
storing a history, an overwritten tag is gone for good.  I tend to
think we may have to store some history (as John said) to make the
right decision for the simple cases...

>  * Use tag names as a fallback for revisionspecs if there's no
>    namespace.

Unrelated, but; we otter fallback to revid's too while that's getting
touched.

That all to one side, on the tag stuff in general, Yay!   8-}

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net