bzr-svn 0.3 - Other weird errors

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Fri Jan 19 16:59:29 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 11:22 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > Hi Nicholas,
> >
> > This is an artefact caused by the fact that "true" pushes to Subversion
> > aren't possible. Pushes are always "push-as-merged". Whenever you push a
> > bazaar revision to Subversion, a new revision is added to Subversion
> > that merges the revision you pushed. I'm afraid true pushes can't be
> > supported easily.
> >
> > The example below works currently if you add a 'bzr pull' after the
> > first 'bzr push'. That will fetch the new revision that was added to the
> > Subversion mainline.
> >
> > I'm open to suggestions for handling this better.
> When you push a revision to svn from Bazaar, can't you just set a
> property for the revision id?

> Say you have 'x at y-123' as your revision id.  To 'push' to Subversion,
> you commit a new revision.  svn sets its own changeset number, of
> course, but you set the 'bzr-revision-id' property to 'x at y-123'

> When bzr-svn is reading the contents of the repo later, it can look for
> 'bzr-revision-id' first, and fall back to the current revision-id
> mechanism if that property isn't set.

The problem is that setting a revision id that way is basically saying
that a particular Subversion revision id is 'renamed' to a custom id.
What if the mapping code changes and the interpretation of the data in
Subversion changes? That would cause that specific revision id to refer
to two different revisions.

Personally, I'd prefer to consider the old interpretation of the
Subversion revision 'corrupt' and the new one correct and use the
checksums on revisions to detect revisions that were made with incorrect
(old) mappings but until there is a consensus on whether that is the
right thing to use the checksums on revisions for, I'd like to stay away
from setting revision ids that way as there's no way back.

Cheers,

Jelmer