Bazaar as Subversion replacement

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Tue Jan 16 18:00:30 GMT 2007

Nicholas Allen wrote:

>>> Unless it is as easy as Subversion's implementation there is no way we
>>> could migrate without this. It is the number one show stopper for us.
>>>

>> Well, I'm afraid you'll be waiting a long time.
>>

> Is this not high on the priority list? Is it really so hard to
> implement?

It means
1. We have to implement file properties.
2. We have to implement a new working tree format and a new repository
   format, including upgrade code.
3. We have to teach all our primitives that manipulate disk files to
   translate from authoritative-text to interpreted-text
4. We have to each all our primitives that read user files from disk to
   translate from interpreted-text to authoritative-text
5. We keep a cache of SHA1 sums of files.  In most cases, the desired
   SHA1 sum would be the authoritative-text, but we might also want the
   interpreted text's sum.

> I can't imagine this is only a show stopper for us. There
> must be a lot of people who do cross platform development and this would
> also prevent them from using bzr...

Well, the thing is that almost none of the main developers use anything
other than *nix.  The other thing is that not all Windows tools have
broken line-ending handling.  The other thing is that even if you're
using broken tools, you should be fine if you use CRLF line endings
everywhere.

>> One of the uses of this is to find out who last changed the file.
>>
>> Pardon me, but why does that matter?
>>

> You find a class that no longer behaves the way you expect it. So you
> want to see who recently changed that class and review the recent commit
> messages to see the most what the most likely culprit is. Is that such
> an uncommon situation?

You're making a logical jump that I wouldn't make, that the last person
who changed the file is the last person who changed the class.  I can
only assume you're using Java, but that's not true in any other language
I can think of.

> I guess if you know where(ie what line) the bug
> was introduced then you could use annotate and this is often the case

I would look at gannotate to see which lines are new.  That also gives
the commit log, and I can double-click for a diff.

Aaron