Bazaar as Subversion replacement

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Jan 16 17:22:02 GMT 2007

>> And I have installed most of them.
>>
>> And then I have 'python-gtk2' installed, but I couldn't find any python
>> binding that was specific to 'sourceview'. I can obviously see that
>> there are '-ocaml' and '-ruby', etc bindings. I'm wondering if there was
>> supposed to be '-python' bindings.
>>
>> Do you know what you are using?
> ganieda:~/bzr.samba/SAMBA_4_0/source/pidl% dpkg
> -S /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtksourceview.so
> python-gnome2-desktop: /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtksourceview.so
>
> I guess the Ubuntu bzr-gtk package should suggest python-gnome2-desktop.
>
> Cheers,
>
> jelmer

I have python-gnome2-desktop. Though I would argue that you shouldn't
need to install gnome in order to get gtk-sourceview....

That may easily be why Alexander doesn't have gtksourceview, considering
I haven't know gnome to be properly ported to win32 yet.

Anyway, it turns out that it works, but it is a little bit screwy.
Specifically from 'gannotate' you must have the plugin installed as
bzrlib.plugins.gtk (not bzrlib.plugins.bzr-gtk) to get the diff view to
show up.

Second, you have to wait a little while for the coloring to show up. I
was trying to test this on my Mac using X, and it seems that sourceview
will show the contents of the diff, and then after a few seconds it will
color it. Why it takes so long, I don't know. But at least it is working
again for me.

Sorry for the noise, though I think there are still some issues to be
worked out.