Improving the distro packaging and installation experience

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Jan 15 15:40:42 GMT 2007

Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On ma, 2007-01-15 at 00:05 +0000, James Westby wrote:

>> I can't guarantee a .deb a day at the moment, but if we can get a sarge
>> backport of a recent bzr then I can improve it a lot. Probably including
>> chroot builds for different distros.
>
> How big a job is it to backport bzr 0.13 (say) to sarge? I'm currently a
> bit out of touch with bzr development. The requirements on
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/InstallationFaq seem fairly simple. I'll give it a
> try some day soonish, unless someone beats me to it.
>
> I'd say that daily builds (and test run logs), even if the debs aren't
> even distributed, would be a good idea. It gives almost real time
> feedback on what broke, when something breaks.

Does sarge have python2.4? Backporting bzr to support python2.3 would be
a fairly involved process. Not impossible, but we use decorators, and a
couple places use inline generators.

Both of them have 2.3 equivalents, though. So it is possible. The bi
thing is that we don't want to give up decorator syntax, because it
really does help maintainability and code cleanliness.