[MERGE/RFC] Revert reporting #3707

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Jan 10 23:51:09 GMT 2007

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel wrote:

I'll look over the rest later, but I have a few quick responses.

>> Certainly, whatever format we decide on should work for 'bzr status
>> > --short' as well as 'bzr revert', 'bzr update', 'bzr merge', 'bzr pull'.
>> >
>> > Until now, we've always treated those as printing the log of the merged
>> > revisions,
>
> I don't know what you mean by this.

Whatever format we chose to use for 'bzr revert' should also be used for
other commands that modify the working tree. Currently 'bzr pull -v'
only prints the log of revisions merged, but it would make sense for it
to also print how the tree changed.

> Well, as I noted in my previous email,

Just add a 'K' in place of 'M', since Kind supersedes Modified.

Actually, it does. I don't know if you saw the output but it was:
% bzr st
added:
renamed:
  b => c
modified:
% bzr status --short
A  b
R  b => c
M  c

So if a file was renamed and modified it gets 2 lines.
R  b => c # file was renamed to c
M  c      # file c was also modified

> Aaron

Well, I don't think it really should, but maybe... I suppose 'bzr merge'
or 'bzr revert' could indicate this, but I don't think 'bzr status' can
without writing out more information.

Certainly if I do 'bzr add X', that will always be an add without a
create, since X already existed or you couldn't run add it. But in your
logical model, that should probably be both an add plus a create.