Lack of deprecation period for short option changes

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Wed Jan 10 19:37:58 GMT 2007

On (10/01/07 13:46), Aaron Bentley wrote:
> James Westby wrote:
>
> > The same thing happens with bzrtools' version check, I tried to convince
> > the Debian maintainer to turn it off entirely as there is not much point
> > having package users warned, but it doesn't look like that is going to
> > happen.
>
> I put that check in precicely because package maintainers were screwing
> bzrtools up by assuming they could use an old version of bzrtools with a
> new bzr.
>
> No package user should ever see that, because it should be impossible to
> trigger if the package is maintained properly.

and I wanted to take it out precisely because it is not being maintained
properly, and Debian users had to spend a couple of months with the
warning being output anytime they got anywhere near bzr.

> Please don't try to go behind my back like that.

I'm not sure of the value of telling the simple package user of the
difference when it requires action on the maintainer's part to fix it.
Maybe it would be fixed quicker as they would bug the maintainer, but
there were bugs open in the BTS about it for a long while.

James

--
  James Westby   --    GPG Key ID: B577FE13    --     http://jameswestby.net/
  seccure key - (3+)k7|M*edCX/.A:n*N!>|&7U.L#9E)Tu)T0>AM - secp256r1/nistp256