crash while running register-branch

Andrew Bennetts andrew at canonical.com
Tue Jan 9 00:52:06 GMT 2007

John Arbash Meinel wrote:
[...]
> The error I'm reading is basically the XML RPC interface dumping the raw
> database exception over the wire, and then our side just dumping that
> same error to the user. Which is nice for developers, since you can
> figure out exactly what is going on, but looks pretty bad for users.
>
> I wonder if we just want to wrap xmlrpclib.Fault for all of the
> 'register-branch' code, and report the full traceback into ~/.bzr.log,
> and print only a single-line error to the user.

Probably the best fix is server-side.  Returning an error with details that only
make sense to developers of the server is of no use to clients (and thus no use
to users of those clients).  Launchpad ought to be able to return an
xmlrpclib.Fault with a sensible error message in that case, rather than a raw
stringified IntegrityError.

-Andrew.