crash while running register-branch

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Jan 8 16:56:32 GMT 2007

Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I felt like using the launchpad plugin on an debian/etch system, which
> comes with bzr 0.11. I haven't tried a newer version of bzr yet, and I
> don't really need this plugin, since I'm used pushing my branches
> directly.
>
> This mail is rather a question what this plugin is actually intended
> for?
>
> Anyway, here the typescript:
>
> siretart- at hermes:~/scratch/packages/londonlaw/londonlaw.trunk
>>> bzr register-branch .
> launchpad.net password for siretart at tauware.de:
> bzr: ERROR: xmlrpclib.Fault: <Fault -1: 'Unexpected Zope exception: IntegrityError: ERROR:  new row for relation "branch" violates check constraint "valid_url"\n\n/*46912684383120*/ INSERT INTO Branch (id, current_conflicts_url, mirror_failures, current_delta_url, last_mirrored, lifecycle_status, product, landing_target, current_activity, last_scanned_id, title, home_page, home_page_locked, name, revision_count, last_mirrored_id, current_diff_deletes, mirror_status_message, owner, pull_disabled, cache_url, last_scanned, started_at, url, stats_updated, whiteboard, summary, branch_home_page, author, last_mirror_attempt, current_diff_adds, product_locked, branch_product_name) VALUES (2561, NULL, 0, NULL, NULL, 1, NULL, NULL, 0, NULL, NULL, NULL, \'f\', \'.\', 0, NULL, NULL, NULL, 1219, \'f\', NULL, NULL, NULL, \'.\', NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, 1219, NULL, NULL, \'f\', NULL)'>

This isn't strictly a crash, just an overly zealous error reporting.

The register-branch plugin could certainly use a little bit more error
handling, rather than always giving a big traceback. (Try typing the
wrong password, and you get a big traceback, where somewhere in there is
the information that the password was incorrect/login failed).

Anyway, you can't register a branch named ".", it expects you to supply
the public url for the branch. So you would give:

bzr register-branch http://my-domain.com/foo/branch

There are quite a few options to the command, and some of them are
probably more required than optional.

For example '--product'.

If you do: 'bzr help register-branch' it gives a pretty good example of
how to use it.

Basically, it does the work of going to Launchpad and filling out the
information for your branch, so that Launchpad can mirror it.

The error I'm reading is basically the XML RPC interface dumping the raw
database exception over the wire, and then our side just dumping that
same error to the user. Which is nice for developers, since you can
figure out exactly what is going on, but looks pretty bad for users.

I wonder if we just want to wrap xmlrpclib.Fault for all of the
'register-branch' code, and report the full traceback into ~/.bzr.log,
and print only a single-line error to the user.