Bazaar t-shirt

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Jan 4 18:21:00 GMT 2007

Matthew Revell wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Part of my role is to make sure more people know about Bazaar and what
> it can offer them.

I would say as a starting point, that we want people to get the core
statement from here: http://bazaar-vcs.org/Usability

  Our goal is to make a version control system that is a joy to use.

We have focused on getting the edge cases right, so that people aren't
cursing their VCS. I know of a couple places where we don't quite get
there, but we are working on it.

> As part of that, I'm working on a t-shirt that we can wear and give out
> at conferences, sprints, etc.
>
> It's a simple way to tell more people about Bazaar: we all know that
> Bazaar rocks but relatively few people know it exists. The t-shirt
> should let people know Bazaar exists and why it's cool.
>
> What two or three things make Bazaar cool for you? The Bazaar t-shirt
> should tell people, in ordinary language, how it can help them. So, I'd
> like to pick your brains :)

I believe that Bazaar (and distributed VCSs in general) fit open source
development practices quite well. Or at least *good* practices. If your
source is open, you want to allow people to make improvements, and
contribute back with a minimum of fuss. I think we do that, and we do it
a lot better than diff + patch. We have a tool that lets a 3rd party
have as much flexibility as a core developer (when it comes to an VCS).

That, to me, would be why people would like us over SVN/CVS.

We also have a fun command:
  $ bzr rocks
  it sure does!

I could see something like that being used on a t-shirt, it might at
least spark interest. (We've had that command since the early-early
days, as it has been used as a simple "are things working?") It is
hidden, as it isn't really useful. But it is kind of fun.

Bazaar also tries pretty hard to fit into a user's workflow, rather than
trying to dictate the workflow to the user. Which goes along with the
first point.

Maybe something like "Bazaar: Making distributed VCS easy", though
people would need to understand VCS, etc.

Bazaar: Taking the joy of coding into the joy of versioning.

Yes, those are cheesy statements, but I'm trying to get a catchy one,
and sometimes they are pretty close together.