InvalidEntryName: Invalid entry name: te\*st

Lars Wirzenius liw at iki.fi
Wed Jan 3 10:49:39 GMT 2007

On ti, 2007-01-02 at 17:30 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> This isn't strictly a bug, it probably shouldn't be giving a traceback,
> but rather a more helpful error. Basically, we disallow '\' as a
> character in filenames.

Hm. This is quite surprising to me as a Unix user. It does not seem to
be documented on the manual page.

Given that \ (and * and ? and [ and ] and : and various other
characters) and non-Unicode strings actually exist in program source
file names, I'd be rather happier if bzr would allow them to be used.
It's not a top priority for me, but for completeness the tool should, in
my opinion, allow them.

> It isn't the only one (we only support Unicode
> names, so there are a few byte sequences that could probably be
> considered illegal).

The source tree has some non-Unicode, non-ASCII filenames, and those
resulted in crashes (stack traces and termination of process). I removed
them to be able to complete the test. I'll do the same with filenames
containing \ as well. Are there any other characters I should be wary of
as well?

> I'm curious what the specific memory consumption was from.

If there's something I can to help measure that, please tell me. I'll
restart the test in a few hours.

--
The world is not black and white, but different shades of pink.