0.13: Bzr is frozen. Can't escape from a conflicted state.

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Dec 21 23:19:48 GMT 2006

Jari Aalto wrote:
> I'm having serious trouble (using 0.13). See below. Donät know how this happened exactly, but
> I seem to have hosed bzr into frozen state where I cannot break the "conflict" to move on.
>
> Please advice.
>
> Jari
>
> 1)
>   $ bzr st
>   removed:
>     debian/dlume.xpm
>   added:
>     debian/dlume.xpm
>   modified:
>     config.guess
>     config.sub
>     debian/debian-vars.mk
>     debian/debian.mk
>     debian/rules
>   conflicts:
>     Conflict adding file debian/rules.BASE.  Moved existing file to debian/rules.BASE.moved.
>     Conflict adding file debian/rules.OTHER.  Moved existing file to debian/rules.OTHER.moved.
>     Conflict adding file debian/rules.THIS.  Moved existing file to debian/rules.THIS.moved.
>   pending merges:
>     jari.aalto at cante.net 2006-12-22 - UU not needed for *.zpm
>       jari.aalto at cante.net 2006-12-22 - update
>       jari.aalto at cante.net 2006-12-22 - update
>       jari.aalto at cante.net 2006-12-22 - dlume.xpm.uuencoded
>       jari.aalto at cante.net 2006-12-22 - uudecode fix
>       jari.aalto at cante.net 2006-12-22 - uuencode
>     jari.aalto at cante.net 2006-12-22 - typo: debian-vars.mk

It doesn't say that 'rules' is conflicted. It says that 'rules.BASE',
'rules.OTHER' and 'rules.THIS' are conflicted.

My best guess is at some point you added them and then committed,
without realizing they were conflict files. And now they actually
conflicted during a merge, but you deleted them all as part of a
resolution phase. (It may be that 'bzr resolve rules' deleted them for you).

You should be able to:

bzr resolve rules.BASE
bzr resolve rules.OTHER
bzr resolve rules.THIS

And then be able to commit.

Though you may also want to do:
  bzr remove rules.BASE rules.OTHER rules.THIS

If it thinks those are still versioned.