[RFC] Commit Builder restructuring (Re: [RFC] letting the commit builder assign the file ids)

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Dec 21 16:19:11 GMT 2006

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

>>> Well, that's when it usually generates file ids.
>
> Eh?  You mean it generates new file ids on import?  I thought that
> bzr-svn was able to roundtrip bzr data.
>
> If it can, then it should be able to use that mechanism instead of
> generating new file ids.
>
> If it can't, we should be aiming at that instead.

bzr-svn generates a file-id for every file. It is something like:

UUID-branch-path-REVNUM-file-path-in-branch

Where UUID is the svn uuid of the repository. branch-path is the path to
the base of the branch in the repository foo/trunk for example. REVNUM
is the first revision that introduced the file, and file-path is the
path underneath the branch.

So bzr-svn has its own set of file-ids.

- From what I've seen in general with bzr-svn, it is mostly trying to make
bzr accept what svn gives it, more than have svn reflect anything from bzr.

Which I can sort of understand. Considering you may be pulling from a
readonly upstream svn. And svn's model isn't quite as flexible.

Though if you are committing, you certainly could add a file property
which was its bzr file-id. And then you could check for that
preferentially to creating a new file-id. Being an incompatible update,
it would probably require bumping the svn revision id numbers.