[RFC] Repository copies

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Dec 21 13:52:57 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 00:51 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 12:28 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> >  * As a set of related branches. In this case, it's more important to
> > know (for the user) what repository a branch is in.
> If you look at it this way, then the current branches implemenation is
> not appropriate.  It finds all the branches at a location.  You're
> looking at all the branches in a repository, but it's quite possible
> that some of the branches at the location are standalone branches that
> do not use that repository.  You can even nest repositories
Yeah, but it's the way Subversion looks at repositories - that was the
point I was trying to make.

> If you mirror, do you really want to mirror only the branches that use
> that repository?  Or do you want to mirror all the branches at that
> location?
Right, you'd want to mirror all branches underneath that directory.

> I do think there's a need to find all the branches that use a
> repository, but I think it's only needed for low-level
> repository-management commands, e.g. "garbage-collect".
Ok, so the find_branches() function for the sort of thing I'd like to do
should happen at a different level. What's the most appropriate place
for it while still allowing overriding that function for specific
situations like that of svn ? Repository comes closest but is still not
appropriate. It's also wrong for Transport to know what dirs are
branches.

Cheers,

Jelmer