Copy command

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sun Dec 17 19:29:15 GMT 2006

Nicholas Allen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think it would be nice if bzr had a copy command which would copy a
> file and its revision history.
>
> Nick

If you search the mailing list archives, you'll see quite a bit of
discussion on this. Why we want it and don't want it. What it implies
for the future.

In general, I think we have agreed that it would be good when looking at
annotate and log, but not so much for merge.

There is also:
http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrFileCopies

We have also discussed something like file_id aliases, or in my head
'associated file_ids'. This would allow a few other improvements, which
I won't really go into here. But we use file ids because they help in a
lot of edge cases, and if we can make them a little less strict, we can
avoid some of their negatives.

But certainly we wouldn't support a 'copy' that would make it seem like
the file has actually existed in a different location over all time.