[MERGE] 'bzr selftest --clean' allows easily clean temporary tests directories

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Tue Dec 12 15:28:10 GMT 2006

>>>>> "jam" == John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:

<snip/>

    jam> As Alexander and I mentioned, 'rm -rf' is not Windows
    jam> compatible.

Which is where I was lost ;)

The makefile already includes w32 specifics, so I guessed someone
(Alexander I'm looking at you) was using it.

By the way are we targeting a specific make on windows ? dmake ?
nmake (the msoft one) ? gnumake under cygwin ?

    jam> Because in general 'rm' doesn't handle Unicode
    jam> filenames. You have to use the Windows Unicode API to be
    jam> able to handle them correctly.

Haaa. The missing bit.

    jam> The easiest way is:

    jam> python -c "import shutil; shutil.rmtree(u'test0000.tmp')"
    jam>                                         ^- very important

    jam> Which is why Alexander wants 'bzr selftest --clean', or
    jam> to change the makefile to call into python so that it
    jam> can work again.

Ok.

Another way to look at 'bzr selftest --clean' is that some users
may want to run selftest without having to install a make (on
developer request while tracking a bug and trying patches for
example). In that case the debug session can end by a nice:

 bzr selftest --clean

and leave the user with a clean environment.

Ok, enough hype ;)

    Vincent

ObJoke: What about:

clean-selftest: