[RFC] New revision specification: testament

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Dec 7 21:28:41 GMT 2006

Goffredo Baroncelli wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I implemented a new revision specification: testament. This revision
> specification is similar to the revid:; but you have to pass the testament
> checksum.
>
> The idea is to use the checksum stored in the signature as revision id, like
> git, hg.
>
> The performances are low, and is based on the parsing of the signature
> revision file. But this is only a proof of concept.
>
> Comments are welcome
>
> Goffredo

I think it is an interesting thought. It does mean that you can only
reference revisions that have been signed, and not everyone has
signatures enabled by default.

One nice thing is that this can be easily done as a plugin. If it was
going to be a core feature, we would really want it to be part of the
revision index.

We have discussed having part of the revision xml being the testament of
the revision. Which would help with this. Though for performance reasons
we might consider having testaments be a more nested structure, which
means that for large trees you still only need to extract the text for
the top level directory, since lower level directories are already
somehow summarized by the top level.