[MERGE] support for win32 UNC path (bug #57869)

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Dec 7 15:11:35 GMT 2006

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel ?8H5B:

>>> It makes more sense from the URL spec that these would be interpreted as:
>>>
>>> file://host/path
>>>
>>> rather than
>>> file://///host/path
>>>
>>> In general URL's are:
>>>
>>> <identifier>://<host>/path
>>>
>>> And 'file:///' has 3 slashes because you have no host.
>>>
>>> So if you are switching to a form that has a host: 'file://host/' makes
>>> sense.
>
> Well, I'm not expert in file URLs, but I try to be consistent with
> browsers installed on my machine. file:///// -- it's the single form of
> URL that understand Firefox. IE behaves more smart and accept almost any
> quantity of slashes -- 2, 4, 5, 6, -- but not 3, because as you said 3
> slashes maps to local filesystem (with no root).
>
> I'm personally think that we can do what we want in this case because
> file URLs is needed only for bzr internals and *never* should be faced
> to user because they useless for other programs (non-browsers).

We can. There are times when the URLs escape. Mostly because our
exception handling tends to print the raw URL, rather than going through
unescape_for_display.

> Actually, I don't think that Firefox should be standard for us, because
> it does not accept plain UNC path in their navigation pane.
>
> I just want to teach bzr works with UNC path, because I need this
> feature, and I don't care about internal representation (2 vs 5
> slashes). I'll rework my patch.

I personally prefer 2, if only because 5 slashes looks really weird.
Like I said, if it is hard to switch to 2, I can review your changes for 5.

I did see a couple small things in your patch, mostly typos. But I'll
try to review the next patch when you finish.

> Also I have a question about entry in NEWS file: do I need to move my
> entry to BUG FIXES section?

You can consider it a feature or a bug. I tend to mark it as a bug if it
has an bug number associated with it. I don't think we are very strict
about it.