push when nothing changed

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Dec 6 14:50:18 GMT 2006

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel ?8H5B:

>>> On my machine I have about 11K revisions in revisions.kndx and it is
>>> about 887K. Though if you haven't re-packed the indexes since we fixed
>>> it, then it could indeed be even larger.
>
> What you mean by re-packing? How I can repack my kndx? On my machine
> revisions.kndx is about of 1.2Mbyte.
>
> Alexander

Pre bzr 0.13 we had a small bug that when doing a merge/pull/branch type
operation, we would not dictionary compress new revision references as
they came in. You can tell this because your knit index looks like:

john at arbash-meinel.com-20062.... fulltext 10 20
.john at arbash-meinel.com-... :

rather than
john at arbash-meinel.com-20062.... fulltext 10 20 1234 :

Basically, the last entry should normally be a number rather than a
revision id prefixed by '.'.

Both are valid references, it is just that the latter one generates less
text, so less has to be read in.

So after 0.13, new data will be properly packed, but that doesn't fix