Question/idea about multiple developers committing to one branch

Nicholas Allen allen at ableton.com
Mon Dec 4 14:41:40 GMT 2006

> checkout % bzr merge
> checkout % bzr commit -m 'merge mainline'
> checkout % bzr push
> ERROR: the head of the push target is a merged revision of this branch:
> The head of the push target is 566.1.1 in this branch.
> You can use "bzr push --reorder" to overwrite the history of the push
> target.
> You can use "bzr bind" then "bzr update" and "bzr commit" to merge this
> branch into the push target without reordering the history of the target.
> checkout % bzr bind
> Turning this branch into a checkout of the push target:
> sftp://bazaar.launchpad.net/~bzr.dev/bzr/bzr.dev
> checkout % bzr status
> Checkout has diverged. Use "bzr update" then "bzr commit" to merge your
> changes.
> checkout % bzr update
> Updated to revision 565.
> checkout % bzr commit -m 'a shiny feature'
>
> I hope I am not too confused about the behavior you expect.

I think you have understood the behavior I expect very well ;-) I was
just hoping there would be a way to do this without having to bind to
the push location (so in a way I like your first suggestion more).

Ideally it would be nice if this could be done on a branch by branch
basis and there would be no reordering of the parents at all. So the
order of parents doesn't actually change but depending on which branch
you are looking at it works out which parent represents the mainline of
development for the branch you are looking at (which may be the first
parent in one branch and the second in another). Not sure if this is
even possible though?

There seems to be many ways to achieve the same thing. I think it is an
important issue to tackle though and it should be as easy and intuitive
as possible for the user. This allows them to just make a branch
writable by other developers and be sure the revision numbers do not
change. I really have no idea what the best solution is (especially from
an implementation point of view as I am not familiar with the source
code). Hopefully, the bzr developers will come up with a nice solution
to this problem ;-)

Nick