Bzr bind feature request

Nicholas Allen nick.allen at onlinehome.de
Sat Dec 2 11:44:45 GMT 2006

That could be useful in certain situations but I don't want only an
automatic mechanism - there is discussion about removing the bind/unbind
commands. When I go offline it may have nothing to do with my network
connection at all. I may just want to make a few commits locally without
sending each one to the mainline each time. For example, I want to
commit often but the individual commits I am making will break the build
system and I know that. Network manager would never be able to detect
this obviously.

It's much more convenient to just tell bzr when you want to work without
committing to mainline and when you do. This may be related to your
network connection or it may have nothing at all to do with it. The
bound branch location could even be local on the computer you are
working on and so the network connection would make no difference
anyway. This could be a quiet a common situation if you think of the
case where you want to share a branch of yours with other developers.
You make it publicly available by SMB and tell others to bind to that
location. For you, though, it is local and others it is remote so you
would not want bzr committing locally because you happened to have no
network connection.

So this may work in some situations and would be useful but I do not
think it is a replacement for having bind/unbind functionality.

Nick